Publications (* denotes student or postdoc)
Submitted or Under Revision
- Seo, H., H. Song, L. W. O’Neill, M. R. Mazloff, and B. D. Cornuelle: Impacts of ocean currents on the South Indian Ocean extratropical storm track through the relative wind effect. J. Climate, submitted.
- Pei, S. T. Shinoda, J. Steffen, and H. Seo, Substantial Sea Surface Temperature cooling in the Banda Sea associated with the Madden-Julian Oscillation in the boreal winter of 2015. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, Submitted.
- Shroyer, E. et al. Bay of Bengal Intraseasonal Oscillation and the 2018 Monsoon Onset. Bull. Amer. Meteo. Soc., Submitted.
- *Bartusek, S., H. Seo, C. C. Ummenhofer, and J. D. Steffen, 2021: The role of nearshore air-sea interactions for landfalling atmospheric rivers on the U.S. West Coast. Geophys. Res. Lett., 48, e2020GL091388. pdf See also WHOI Research News
- Sun, R., A. C. Subramanian, B. D. Cornuelle, M. R. Mazloff, A. J. Miller, F. M. Ralph, H. Seo, and I. Hoteit, 2021: The role of air-sea interactions in atmospheric river events: Case studies using the SKRIPS regional coupled model. J. Geophys. Res. – Atmosphere, 126, e2020JD032885. pdf
- Liang, Y.-C., M.-H. Lo, C.-W. Lan, H. Seo, C. C. Ummenhofer, S. Yeager, R.-J. Wu, and J. D. Steffen, 2020: Amplified Seasonal Cycle in Hydroclimate over the Amazon River Basin and its Plume Region. Nat. Commun., 11, 4390. pdf.
- *Yuan, X., C. C. Ummenhofer, H. Seo, and Z. Su, 2020: Relative contributions of heat flux and wind stress on the spatiotemporal upper-ocean variability in the tropical Indian Ocean. Env. Res. Lett., 15, 084047. pdf
- Gentemann, C., C. A. Clayson, S. Brown, T. Lee, R. Parfitt, J. T. Farrar, M. Bourassa, P. J. Minnett, H. Seo, S. T Gille, and V. Zlotnicki, 2020: FluxSat: Measuring the ocean-atmosphere turbulent exchange of heat and moisture from space. Remote Sensing. 12, 1796. pdf
- Sprintall, J., K. A. Reed, A. H. Butler, G. R. Foltz, S. G. Penny, and H. Seo, 2020: Best Practice Strategies for Process Studies designed to Improve Climate Modelling. Bull. Amer. Met. Soc., 101, E1842-E1850. pdf.
- Song, H., J. Marshall, D. J. McGillicuddy Jr., and H. Seo, 2020: The impact of the current-wind interaction on the vertical processes in the Southern Ocean. J. Geophys. Res.-Oceans, 125, e2020JC016046. pdf
- Gopalakrishnan, G., A. C. Subramanian, A. J. Miller, H. Seo, and D. Sengupta, 2020: Estimation and prediction of the upper ocean circulation in the Bay of Bengal, Deep-Sea Res. II, 172, 104721. pdf.
- Hagos, S., G. R. Foltz, C. Zhang, E. Thompson, H. Seo, S. Chen, A. Capotondi, K. A. Reed, C. DeMott, and A. Protat, 2020: Atmospheric Convection and Air-Sea Interactions over the Tropical Oceans: Scientific Progress, Challenges, and Opportunities. Bull. Amer. Met. Soc.,101, E253–E258. pdf
- Kwon, Y.-O., H. Seo, C. C. Ummenhofer, and T. M. Joyce, 2020: Impact of Multidecadal Variability in Atlantic SST on Winter Atmospheric Blocking. J. Climate, 33, 867-892. pdf
- Seo, H., A. C. Subramanian, H. Song, and J. S. Chowdary, 2019: Coupled effects of ocean current on wind stress in the Bay of Bengal: Eddy energetics and upper ocean stratification. Deep-Sea Res. II, 168, 104617. pdf
- *Prend, C. J., H. Seo. R. A. Weller, and J. T. Farrar, 2019: Impact of freshwater plumes on intraseasonal upper ocean variability in the Bay of Bengal. Deep-Sea Res.-II., 161, 63-71. pdf
- Joyce, T. M., Y.-O. Kwon, H. Seo, and, C. C. Ummenhofer, 2019: Meridional Gulf Stream shifts can influence wintertime variability in the North Atlantic Storm Track and Greenland Blocking. Geophys. Res. Lett., 46, 46,1702-1708. pdf
- Weller, R. A., J. T. Farrar, H. Seo, C. J. Prend, D. Sengupta, J. Sree Lekha, M. Ravichandran, and R. Venkatesen, 2019: Moored observations of the surface meteorology and air-sea fluxes in the northern Bay of Bengal in 2015, J. Climate, 32, 549-573. pdf
- *Parfitt, R. and H. Seo, 2018: A New Framework for Near-Surface Wind Convergence over the Kuroshio Extension and Gulf Stream in Wintertime: The Role of Atmospheric Fronts. Geophys. Res. Lett., 45, 9909–9918. pdf.US CLIVAR Research Highlight.
- Pullen, J., R. Allard, H. Seo, A. J. Miller, S. Chen, L. P. Pezzi, T. Smith, P. Chu, J. Alves, and R. Caldeira, 2018: Coupled ocean-atmosphere forecasting at short and medium time scales. J. Mar. Res., 75, 877-921. pdf
- *Jin, X, Y.-O. Kwon, C. C. Ummenhofer, H. Seo, Y. Kosaka, and J. S. Wright, 2018: Distinct mechanisms of decadal subsurface heat content variations in the eastern and western Indian Ocean modulated by tropical Pacific SST, J. Climate, 31, 7751-7769. pdf
- *Jin, X., Y.-O. Kwon, C. C. Ummenhofer, H. Seo, F. U. Schwarzkopf, A. Biastoch, C. W. Böning, and J. S. Wright, 2018: Influences of Pacific Climate Variability on Decadal Subsurface Ocean Heat Content Variations in the Indian Ocean. J. Climate, 31, 4157-4174. pdf
- Kwon, Y.-O., A. Camacho, C. Martinez-Zayas, and H. Seo, 2018: North Atlantic Eddy-driven Jet and Blocking Variability in the Community Earth System Model Version 1 Large Ensemble Simulations. Clim. Dyn., 51, 3275-3289. pdf
- Seo, H., Y.-O. Kwon, T. M. Joyce, and C. C. Ummenhofer, 2017: On the predominant nonlinear response of the extratropical atmosphere to meridional shift of the Gulf Stream. J. Climate,30, 9679-9702. pdf
- Morrow, R., L.-L. Fu, T. Farrar, H. Seo, P.-Y. Le Traon, 2017. Ocean eddies and mesoscale variability. Satellite Altimetry Over Oceans and Land Surfaces, In D. Stammer and A. Cazenave, editors, Satellite Altimetry Over Ocean and Land Surfaces. CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group,Satellite Altimetry Over Oceans and Land Surfaces.
- Centurioni, L. R., and Co-authors, 2017: Northern Arabian Sea Circulation-Autonomous Research (NASCar): A Research Initiative Based on Autonomous Sensors. Oceanography, 30, 74-87. pdf
- Ummenhofer, C. C., H. Seo, Y-O. Kwon, R. Parfitt, S. Brands, and T. M. Joyce, 2017: Emerging European winter precipitation pattern linked to atmospheric circulation changes over the North Atlantic region in recent decades. Geophys. Res. Lett., 44, 8557–8566. pdf
- Seo, H., 2017: Distinct influence of air-sea interactions mediated by mesoscale sea surface temperature and surface current in the Arabian Sea. J. Climate, 30, 8061-8079. pdf
- Miller, A. J., M. Collins, S. Gualdi, T. G. Jensen, V. Misra, L. P. Pezzi, D. W. Pierce, D. Putrasahan, H. Seo, and Y.-H. Tseng, 2017: Coupled Ocean-Atmosphere-Hydrology Modeling and Predictions, J. Mar. Res. 75, 361-402. pdf
- *Parfitt, R., A. Czaja, and H. Seo, 2017: A simple diagnostic for the detection of atmospheric fronts, Geophys. Res. Lett., 44, 4351–4358. pdf
- *Jongaramrungruang, S., H. Seo, and C. C. Ummenhofer, 2017: Intraseasonal rainfall variability in the Bay of Bengal during the Summer Monsoon: Coupling with the ocean and modulation by the Indian Ocean Dipole. Atmos. Sci. Lett., 18, 88–95. pdf
- Chowdary, J. S., G. Srinivas, T. S. Fousiya, A. Parekh, C. Gnanaseelan, H. Seo, and J. A. MacKinnon, 2016: Representation of Bay of Bengal Upper-Ocean Salinity in General Circulation Models. Oceanography, 29, 38–49. pdf
- Seo, H., A. J. Miller, and J. R. Norris, 2016: Eddy-wind interaction in the California Current System: dynamics and impacts, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 46, 439-459. pdf
- Brink, K. H. and H. Seo, 2016: Continental Shelf Baroclinic Instability 2: Oscillating wind forcing, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 46, 569-582. pdf
- *Oltmanns, M., F. Straneo, H. Seo, G. W. K. Moore, 2015: The role of wave dynamics and small-scale topography for downslope wind events in southeast Greenland. J. Atmos. Sci., 72, 2786-2805. pdf
- Cavanaugh, N., T. Allen, A. Subramanian, B. Mapes, H. Seo, and A. J. Miller, 2015: The Skill of Tropical Linear Inverse Models in Hindcasting the Madden-Julian Oscillation. Climate Dyn., 44, 897-906. pdf
- Seo, H., A. C. Subramanian, A. J. Miller, and N. R. Cavanaugh, 2014: Coupled impacts of the diurnal cycle of sea surface temperature on the Madden-Julian Oscillation. J. Climate, 27, 8422-8443. pdf
- Park, J.-Y., J.-S. Kug, H. Seo, and J. Bader, 2014: Impact of bio-physical feedbacks on the tropical climate in coupled and uncoupled GCMs. Climate Dyn., 43, 1811-1827. pdf
- Seo, H., Y.-O. Kwon, and J.-J. Park, 2014: On the effect of the East/Japan Sea SST variability on the North Pacific atmospheric circulation in a regional climate model. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmospheres, 119, 418-444. pdf
- Subramanian, A, M. Jochum, A. J. Miller, R. Neale, H. Seo, D. Waliser, and R. Murtugudde, 2014: The MJO and Global warming: A study in CCSM4. Climate Dyn., 42, 2019-2031. pdf
- Seo, H., and J. Yang, 2013: Dynamical response of the Arctic atmospheric boundary layer process to uncertainties in sea ice concentration. J. Geophys. Res-Atmospheres, 118, 12,383-12,402. pdf
- Putrasahan, D. A. J. Miller, and H. Seo, 2013: Regional coupled ocean-atmosphere downscaling in the Southeast Pacific: Impacts on upwelling, mesoscale air-sea fluxes, and ocean eddies. Ocean Dynam., 63 ,463-488. pdf
- Seo, H., and S.-P. Xie, 2013: Impact of ocean warm layer thickness on the intensity of hurricane Katrina in a regional coupled model. Meteor. Atmos. Phys., 122, 19-32. pdf
- Putrasahan, D. A. J. Miller, and H. Seo, 2013: Isolating Mesoscale Coupled Ocean-Atmosphere Interactions in the Kuroshio Extension Region. Dyn. Atmos. Oceans., 63, 60-78. pdf
- Seo, H., K. H. Brink, C. E. Dorman, D. Koracin, and C. A. Edwards, 2012: What determines the spatial pattern in summer upwelling trends on the U.S. West Coast? J. Geophys. Res.-Oceans, 117, C08012. pdf
- Alexander, M.A., H. Seo, S.-P. Xie, and J.D. Scott, 2012: ENSO’s impact on the gap wind regions of the eastern tropical Pacific Ocean. J. Climate, 25, 3549-3565. pdf
- Seo, H., and S.-P. Xie, 2011: Response and Impact of Equatorial Ocean Dynamics and Tropical Instability Waves in the Tropical Atlantic under Global Warming: A regional coupled downscaling study. J. Geophys. Res.-Oceans, 116, C03026. pdf
- Seo, H., S.-P. Xie, R. Murtugudde, M. Jochum, and A. J. Miller, 2009: Seasonal effects of Indian Ocean freshwater forcing in a regional coupled model. J. Climate, 22, 6577-6596. pdf
- Seo, H., R. Murtugudde, M. Jochum, and A. J. Miller, 2008: Modeling of Mesoscale Coupled Ocean-Atmosphere Interaction and its Feedback to Ocean in the Western Arabian Sea. Ocean Modell., 25,120-131. pdf
- Seo, H., M. Jochum, R. Murtugudde, A. J. Miller, and J. O. Roads, 2008: Precipitation from African Easterly Waves in a Coupled Model of the Tropical Atlantic. J. Climate, 21, 1417-1431. pdf
- Small, R. J., S. de Szoeke, S. P. Xie, L. O’Neill, H. Seo, Q. Song, P. Cornillon, M. Spall, and S. Minobe, 2008: Air-Sea Interaction over Ocean Fronts and Eddies. Dyn. Atmos. Oceans., 45, 274-319. pdf
- Seo, H., M. Jochum, R. Murtugudde, A. J. Miller, and J. O. Roads, 2007: Feedback of Tropical Instability Wave – induced Atmospheric Variability onto the Ocean. J. Climate, 20, 5842-5855. pdf
- Seo, H. A. J. Miller and J. O. Roads, 2007: The Scripps Coupled Ocean-Atmosphere Regional (SCOAR) model, with applications in the eastern Pacific sector. J. Climate, 20, 381-402. pdf
- Seo, H., M. Jochum, R. Murtugudde and A. J. Miller, 2006: Effect of Ocean Mesoscale Variability on the Mean State of Tropical Atlantic Climate. Geophys. Res. Lett., 33, L09606. pdf